Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Albatrosses :: Wandering Albatross
Wandering Albatross Diomedea exulans
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Tristan Albatross, Antipodean Albatross, Amsterdam Albatross, Amsterdam Island Albatross
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 7 more images.
RangeCircumpolar; Southern Ocean from 60°S to 25°S;
(1) Breeds on South Georgia and Macquarie Is. Formerly bred in the Falkland Is.
(2) Antipodes Is., Campbell Is. and the Auckland Is. (Adams, Disappointment and Auckland).
(3) Marion, Prince Edward, Heard, Crozet and Kerguelen Is.
(4) Amsterdam Island in the s. c. Indian Ocean.
Dispersal pattern at sea is unknown.
(5) Breeds in the Tristan da Cunha Is. (Inaccessible Is.) and Gough Is.
Disperses s. of 22°S off Chile, s. Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, s. Brazil (n. to Rio de Janeiro, Cabo Frio), South Africa (Cape of Good Hope), Namibia, s. Angola, s. Mozambique, Australia (sw. Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria off Portland, New South Wales off Wollongong and Green Cape, c. Queensland), Tasmania, New Zealand (North and South Islands).
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.