Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Woodpeckers and Allies :: Greater Flameback
Greater Flameback Chrysocolaptes lucidus
Described by: Scopoli (1786)
Alternate common name(s): Greater Goldenback, Greater Flame-backed Woodpecker, Crimson-backed Woodpecker, Golden-backed Four-toed Woodpecker, Greater Golden-backed Woodpecker, Large Golden-backed Woodperker
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeIndia to se. Asia. Greater Sundas. Philippines;
(1) W. coast of India.
(2) Nw. Himalayas of nw. India and Nepal to s. China (Yunnan) s. to Thailand and Indochina.
(3) Peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra and w. Java.
(4) Sri Lanka.
(5) E. Java.
(6) Coastal e. Java, Bali and Kangean Is.
(7) Ne. Borneo (vicinity of Sandakan to Sebatik Is.).
(8) Balabac Is., Palawan and Calamian Group.
(9) N. Philippines (Lzon, Polilo, Marinduque and Catanduanes).
(10) Ticao, Masbate, Panay, Guimaras and Negros Is.
(11) Samar, Biliran, Leyte, Calicoan, Bohol and Panaon Is.
(12) Mindanao (Zamboanga Peninsula) and Basilan Is.
(13) E. Mindanao and Sama Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.