Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Woodpeckers and Allies :: Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons
Described by: Wagler (1829)
Alternate common name(s): Gold-fronted Woodpecker
Old scientific name(s): Centurus aurifrons
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 1 more images.
RangeSc. United States s. to sc. Central America;
(1) Sc. United States (sw. Oklahoma and s. Texas) to sc. Mexico to Jalisco, nw. San Luis Potosi and Hidalgo.
(2) E. Mexico (c. San Luis Potosi and sw. Tamaulipas to e. Puebla and c. Veracruz).
(3) E. slope from s. Veracruz to ne. Guatemala.
(4) Se. Mexico (Yucatan Peninsula), ne. Guatemala and Belize.
(5) Sw. Mexico (sw. Oacaca e. through interior of Chiapas).
(6) S. Mexico (se. Chiapas) to El Salvador, sw. Honduras and nc. Nicaragua.
(7) Guatemala (upper Rio Negro and upper Motagua Valley).
(8) Coastal n. Honduras.
(9) Mecos and Cozumel Is. off ne. Yucatan Peninsula.
(10) Turneffe Is. off Belize.
(11) Utilla Is. off n. Honduras.
(12) Roatan and Barbaretta Is.
Sian Kaan Biosphere Reserve, Quintana Roo, Mexico - Mar 8, 2002 Source: William Hull
Description: Bird is perched at the top of a snag.
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.