Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Woodpeckers and Allies :: Gray-capped Woodpecker
Gray-capped Woodpecker Dendrocopos canicapillus
Described by: Blyth (1845)
Alternate common name(s): Grey-capped Pygmy Woodpecker, Gray-capped Pygmy Woodpecker, Grey-capped Woodpecker, Gray-headed Pygmy Woodpecker, Grey-headed Pygmy Woodpecker, Gray-crowned Woodpecker, Grey-crowned Woodpecker, Taiwan Woodpecker, Formosan Woodpecker
Old scientific name(s): Picoides canicapillus
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeHimalayas to e. Asia, Sumatra and Borneo.
(1) N. Pakistan, w. Nepal and n. India.
(2) Ex. e. Nepal and ne. India (Assam).
(3) Ne. India (e. Assam), Bangladesh, c. and s. Burma, Thailand and Laos.
(4) Se. Thailand, Cambodia and s. Vietnam.
(5) S. Thailand and Malay Peninsula.
(6) Riau Archipelago, Sumatra and Nias Is.
(8) Se. Siberia (Ussuriland), e. Manchuria and Korea.
(9) E. and c. China (Liaoning s. to Sichuan and Zhejiang).
(10) W. and s. Sichuan e. to Fujian and Taiwan s. to n. Burma and n. Vietnam.
(11) Hainan Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.