Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Woodpeckers and Allies :: Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos minor
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Little Pied Woodpecker
Old scientific name(s): Picoides minor
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeTemperate Europe and Asia;
(1) Scandinavia across nw. and c. Russia to the Ural Mountains.
(2) Ex. ne. China (Manchuria, Lower Amur River) and Sakhalin Is. s. to ne. Korea and n. Japan (Hokkaido).
(3) Ural Mountains e. to Anadyrland with an isolated population on the Kamchatka Peninsula (Sea of Okhotsk).
(4) Nc. Europe from France to e. Germany (Hessen in the Kellerwald) and Poland and s. to Switzerland, Hungary and n. Romania.
(5) Spain to s. France and Italy, Hungary (Borzsony), Romania and n. Greece.
(6) England and Wales.
(7) N. Africa from ne. Algeria to nw. Tunisia.
(8) Greece and Asia Minor (Turkey).
(9) Sw. Russia (Caucasus) and Transcaucasia.
(10) S. Caucasus in the Lenkoran region of se. Transcaucasia.
(11) Nw. Iran and Zagros Mountains.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Avisoft
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.