Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Shearwaters and Petrels :: Little Shearwater
Little Shearwater Puffinus assimilis
Described by: Gould (1838)
Alternate common name(s): Allied Shearwater, Dusky Shearwater
Old scientific name(s): Procellaria munda
No photographs are available for this species
RangeSouthern Ocean, s. Indian Ocean, s. Pacific Ocean, s. Atlantic Ocean; Nc. Atlantic Ocean;
(1) the Azores, Desertas (Bugio?), Salvage, Canary (Cima, Baixo and Porto Santo Is.).
(2) Cape Verde Is.
(3) Is. off Western Australia (Eclipse and Houtman Abrolhos Is., Parakeet Islet off Rottnest Is., Recherche Arch.).
(4) Lord Howe and Norfolk Is. (Bird Rocks).
(5) Kermadec Is. (Raoul Is.).
(6) New Zealand (is. off e. North Island, Bay of Plenty and outer Hauraki Gulf).
(7) Tristan da Cunha (Gough Is.), St. Paul, Amsterdam (formerly), Auckland, Chatham and Antipodes Is. Antipodes birds disperse to the coast of Chile.
(8) Austral or Tubuai Is. (Rapa Is.). Possibly breeds on Chiloe Is. off Chile.
Disperses to Chile (Chiloe Is.), Argentina, Portugal, w. Ireland, Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal to Sierra Leone, s. Namibia, South Africa, Marion Is., se. Australia (se. Queensland, Victoria, New South Wales), Tasmania and New Zealand (South Island). Vagrant to Admiralty Is. (Roach Is.), Marquesas and Midway Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.