Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Pittas :: Hooded Pitta
Hooded Pitta Pitta sordida
Described by: Müller, Statius (1776)
Alternate common name(s): Black-headed Pitta, Green-breasted Pitta
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeHimalayas to w. se. Asia, Malay Peninsula, Sumatra, Borneo, Philippines, n. Sulawesi and New Guinea;
(1) Ne. India (Himalayan foothills of Manipur, Nagaland, Mixoram s. to Bihar) to Banladesh, s. China, Burma, Thailand, n. Laos, Cambodia, s. Vietnam and nc. Malay Peninsula (Belum area).
Himalayan populations winter s. to Greater Sundas.
(2) S. Thailand, Malaysia, Sumatra, Java and Borneo.
(3) Nicobar Is.
(4) Bangka and Belitung Is.
(5) New Guinea and w. Papuan Is. (Gebe and Gag Is.). Karkar Is. W. Bismarck Archipelago (Long Is.).
(6) Sangir Is. (Sangihe Is.).
(7) N. Sulawesi.
(8) Aru Is.
(9) Numfor Is.
(10) Biak Is.
(11) Balabac and Palawan Is.
(12) Philippines including the Sulu Archipelago.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.