Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Swallows :: Pacific Swallow
Pacific Swallow Hirundo tahitica
Described by: Gmelin, J. F. (1789)
Alternate common name(s): House Swallow, Eastern Swallow, Coast Swallow, Small House-swallow, Eastern House-swallow, Hill Swallow, House Swallow, Nilgiri House-swallow
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeSw. India. Se. Asia through the Lesser Sundas and Greater Sundas, Ryukyu Is., Taiwan, Philippines, Sulawesi, Moluccas, New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago to Solomon Is.;
(1) Sw. peninsular India (s. Derala, Nilgiri Hills s. to s. Kerala) and Sri Lanka.
(2) Andaman Is., Malaysia from coastal Burma e. to s. Vietnam (Cochinchina), Sumatra, Borneo, Java, Lesser Sundas, Sulawesi, Moluccas, Philippines, and Taiwan.
(3) Ryukyu Is.
(4) W. and n. New Guinea.
(5) S. and e. New Guinea, and D'Entrecasteaux Archipelago.
(6) Bismarck Archipelago (New Britian).
(7) Polynesia, Melanesia (Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Solomon Is., Santa Cruz Is., Banks Is., Loyalty Is., Fiji and Tonga.
(8) Society Is. (Moorea, Tahiti).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.