Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Wagtails and Pipits :: Eastern Yellow Wagtail
Eastern Yellow Wagtail Motacilla tschutschensis
Described by: Gmelin, J. F. (1789)
Alternate common name(s): Eastern Yellow-wagtail, Siberian Yellow-wagtail, Siberian Wagtail, Alaska Yellow-wagtail, Alaska Wagtail, Short-tailed Grey-headed Wagtail, Short-tailed Gray-headed Wagtail
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeC. Asia to nw. North America;
(1) E. Kazakhstan border with ex. Nw. China (Xinjiang) in the Zaisan basin (Lake Zaisan) and the upper Irtysh River.
Winters in India.
(2) N. Siberia (Khatanga River e. to the Kolyma River).
Winters in India and se. Asia.
(3) S. Siberia and w. Transbaikalia s. to n. Mongolia.
Winters in se. Asia in Burma, Thailand e. to se. China.
(4) Ne. Siberia (Kamchatka), n. Kuril Is., Commander Is. and possibly Pribilof Is. and Aleutians.
Winters in se. Asia, e. China, Philippines, s. to the Sundas, Wallacea and n. Australia (ne. Western Australia (Broome Bird Observatory), n. Northern Territory (Knuckey's Lagoon in the Darwin area) and n. Queensland).
(5) Ne. Siberia, n. and w. Alaska, and ex. Nw. Canada (nw. Yukon).
Winters mostly in se. Asia in e. China e. to the Philippines and s. to Indonesia (Java).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.