Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Bulbuls :: Red-vented Bulbul
Red-vented Bulbul Pycnonotus cafer
Described by: Linnaeus (1766)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 1 more images.
RangeIndian subcontinent to Burma;
(1) W. Himalayas from Pakistan (Jammu and Kashmir) e. at least to Nepal.
(2) Se. Pakistan (Sind), nw. and nc. India including the n. plains.
(3) C. and e. Himalayas, Gangetic Plain and Bangladesh.
(4) Ne. India (s. Assam hills), n. Burma, and s. China (w. Yunnan).
(5) S. Burma and n. Thailand.
(6) Ne. peninsular India.
(7) S. India.
(8) Sri Lanka.
Introduced to e. Arabia (Kuwait, Qatar, United Arab emirates, Oman), Polynesia (Fiji, Tonga (3), Samoa and Tahiti in the Society Is.), and Hawaii (Oahu).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.