Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Thrushes and Allies :: Blue Rock-Thrush
Blue Rock-Thrush Monticola solitarius
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Blue Rock-thrush, Red-bellied Rock-thrush
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 9 more images.
RangeNw. Africa across s. Europe, s. Asia to se. Siberia and Japan;
(1) Nw. Africa in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and nw. Lybia, and s. Europe from the Iberian Peninsula e. to Greece and most Mediterranean islands e. through Turkey, Near East and Middle East to Transcaucasia.
Winters in w. and c. Africa (Senegal) and Arabia.
(2) Greece, w. and s. Turkey, Levant, n. Iraq, Iran, Turkestan, Kazakhstan to Tien Shan, sw. Siberia (Altai Mountains), and nw. Himalayas of n. Pakistan and n. India.
Winters in ne. Africa e. to n. India.
(3) C. Himalayas, se. Tibet, c. and e. China, Hainan Is., and n. Vietnam.
Winters in s. and se. Asia s. to the Greater Sundas.
(4) Se. Siberia, e. Mongolia, ne. China, Korea, s. Sakhalin Is., s. Kuril Is., Japan, Ryukyu Is., Bonin Is. and Volcano Is., Taiwan and the Batan Is. Off the n. Philippines.
Winters in se. China, and Philippines to the Sundas.
(5) Malay Peninsula in ex. S. Thailand and n. Sumatra.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Jeff Blincows Sound Gallery
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.