Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Old World Warblers :: Tawny Grassbird
Tawny Grassbird Megalurus timoriensis
Described by: Wallace (1864)
Alternate common name(s): Tawny Marshbird, Rufous-capped Grassbird, Tawny Grass-warbler, Rufous-capped Grass-warbler
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangePhilippine, Sulawesi, s. Moluccas, w. Lesser Sundas, se. New Guinea, n. and e. Australia;
Highly fragmented distribution;
(1) N. and c. Philippines (Luzon, Samar, Negros, Panay and Tablas Is.
(2) Nw. Philippines (Mindoro).
(3) C. Philippines (Bohol, Cebu and Leyte).
(4) S. Philippines (Mindanao and Basilan).
(6) S. Moluccas (Ambon Is.).
(7) W. Lesser Sundas (Sumba Is.).
(8) Timor Is.
(9) S. New Guinea (Fly River region).
(10) N. and e. Australia from ne. Western Australia (Kimberleys), n. Northern Territory (Top End, Knuckey's Lagoon, Holmes Jungle Swamp, East Point Recreational Reserve at Ludmilla Creek and Fogg Dam), n. and e. Queensland (Lake Samsonvale in the Brisbane area) and ne. New South Wales s. to vicinity of Sidney. May also occur on Romang Is. ne. of Timor, but the racial assignment of these birds has been disputed.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.