Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Monarch Flycatchers :: Shining Flycatcher
Shining Flycatcher Myiagra alecto
Described by: Temminck (1827)
Alternate common name(s): Shining Monarch, Common Shining Flycatcher, Glossy Flycatcher, Shining Monarch-flycatcher, Papuan Flycatcher, Papuan Shining-flycatcher, New Guinea Flycatcher, New Guinea Shining-flycatcher, Long-billed Shining Flycatcher, Satinbird
Old scientific name(s): Monarcha alecto, Piezorhynchus alecto
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeMoluccas to New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago, and n. Australia;
(1) N. Moluccas from Morotai, Halmahera, Ternate, Tidore, Mare, Muor, Moti, Becan, Damar, Kasinuta, and Obi.
(2) W. Papuan Is., w., s., and n. New Guinea, Karkar Is., Bagabag, and Bismarck Archipelago (New Ireland and Duke of York Is.).
(3) E. Papuan Islands (Trobriand Is., Woodlark Is., D'Entrecasteaux Is., and Louisiade Archipelago).
(4) Manam Is. (Vulcan Is.?) off ne. New Guinea.
(5) Aru Is.
(6) Tanimbar Is.
(7) S. New Guinea (Trans Fly region), and ne. Australia s. along coast of ne. Queensland to Fraser Is.
(8) N. Australia from n. Western Australia, n. Northern Territory (Top End at Howard Springs, Middle Arm and Adelaide River near Darwin and Jim Jim Creek and on the Yellow Waters cruise in Kakadu National Park), nw. and e. Queensland s. to Fraser Is. (Cape York Peninsula along tributaries to the Claudie River in the Iron Range National Park).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.