Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Honeyeaters :: Helmeted Friarbird
Helmeted Friarbird Philemon buceroides
Described by: Swainson (1838)
Alternate common name(s): Sandstone Friarbird, Timor Friarbird, Timor Helmeted Friarbird, Melville Friarbird, Melville Island Friarbird, Swainson's Friarbird, Monsoon Friarbird, New Guinea Friarbird, Papuan Friarbird, Cape York Friarbird, Hornbill Friarbird, Leatherhead
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Range(1) W. and c. Lesser Sundas from Lombok and Sumba, Sumbawa and Flores Is. to Alor Is.
(2) Lesser Sundas (Timor, Savu, and Wetar Is.) and n. Western Australia.
(3) Coastal n. Northern Territory (Darwin, Arnhem Land, Kakadu National Park at Waterfall Creek and Nourlangie Rock) and Melville Is.
(4) Nw. and s. New Guinea and w. Papuan Is. (Waigeo, Kofiau, Salawati, Batanta and Misool).
(5) Aru Is.
(6) N. New Guinea and Yapen Is.
(7) S. New Guinea.
(8) Se. New Guinea.
(9) D'Entrecasteaux Archipelago (Trobriand Is.).
(10) Tagula Is.
(11) Inland nc. Northern Territory (Arnhem Land).
(12) Ne. Australia (ne. Queensland, Cape York Peninsula (Iron Range National Park along Portland Road, Cairns Esplanade and Cairns Botanical Gardens s. to Mackay) and islands in the Torres Strait).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.