Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Shrikes :: Northern Shrike
Northern Shrike Lanius excubitor
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Great Grey Shrike, Great Gray Shrike
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 2 more images.
RangePalearctic and Holarctic Regions:
(1) W. and n. Europe in n. Scandinavia, e. Germany (Hessen in the Kellerwald) e. across n. Russia to w. Siberia and s. to c. France and n. Italy and Asia Minor.
(2) Se. Europe from the Balkan Peninsula (Crimea), Ukraine to s. Ural Mountains and wc. Asia.
(3) W. Siberia to Russian Turkestan (Yenisey River).
(4) E. Siberia to n. Mongolia and Kamchatka Peninsula?.
(5) Sakhalin Is., s. Kuril and n. Japan.
(6) C. Asia in the Russian Altai, and nw. Mongolia. Nw. China (Sinkiang, Kansu, Ningsia)
(7) Chinese Turkestan (Tien Shan).
(8) W. and n. Alaska and nw. Canada (ex. n. British Columbia, Alberta, n. Manitoba).
(9) E. Canada (n. Ontario, n. to c. Quebec and s. Labrador).
Winters s. to ne. United States.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.