Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Shrikes :: Southern Gray Shrike
Southern Gray Shrike Lanius meridionalis
Described by: Temminck (1820)
Alternate common name(s): Southern Grey Shrike, Saharan Shrike
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeEthiopian and Oriental Regions;
(1) Iberian Peninsula (Portugal at Pera Marsh, Lagoa dos Salgados, Algarve) and s. France.
(2) Canary Is.
(3) Nw. Africa in Morocco (n. of Atlas Mountains), coastal n. Algeria and Tunisia.
(4) N. Sahara from s. Mauritania to s. Egypt, the Red Sea and Sinai Peninsula.
(5) S. Sahara from Senegambia, Mali, Burkina Faso, s. Niger, ne. Nigeria, Cameroon, s. Chad to w. Sudan in the Nile River Valley.
(6) Ne. Africa from the w. coast of the Red Sea (Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia) and Arabia and s. Iran.
(7) N. Israel and s. Lebanon in the Galilee Hills.
(9) Socotra Is.
(10) E. Pakistan, w. and n. India to Bangladesh.
(11) Sc. Asia from Iraq and Iran to the n. and e. Caspian Sea region to the Aral Sea, Transcaspia to e. Kazakhstan and Lake Balkash region and the arid steppes of w. China (Xinjiang, Gansu and Ningsia)?.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.