Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Bellmagpies and Allies :: Australasian Magpie
Australasian Magpie Gymnorhina tibicen
Described by: Latham (1801)
Alternate common name(s): Australian Magpie, New Guinea Magpie, Black-backed Magpie, Western Magpie, White-backed Magpie, Bell Magpie
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 3 more images.
Range(1) Sc. New Guinea (Trans-Fly area from the Digul River to the Oriomo River).
(2) N. Australia (ne. Western Australia in the Kimberleys, interior n. Northern Territory and nw. Queensland).
(3) Cw. and n. Western Australia.
(4) C. Australia.
(5) Ne. Australia (se. Northern Territory, ne. South Australia, n. Victoria, interior New South Wales to n. Queensland n. to the Staaten River and Cardwell).
(6) Se. Australia (ex. s. Queensland, New South Wales n. to Narooma and e. Victoria).
Introduced to New Zealand and Fiji (Taveuni Is.).
(7) Ce. Western Australia, s. Northern Territory, e. South Australia w. to the Eyre Peninsula and Kangaroo Is. and s. Victoria.
(8) S. Western Australia n. to the Murchison River and e. to Esperance.
(9) Se. Australia (e. Victoria), islands of the Bass Strait and Tasmania.
Introduced to Fiji (Taveuni Is.).
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian National Botanic Gardens
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.