Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Crows, Jays and Magpies :: Eurasian Nutcracker
Eurasian Nutcracker Nucifraga caryocatactes
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Spotted Nutcracker, European Nutcracker, Indian Nutcracker, Larger-spotted Nutcracker, Nutcracker
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Range(1) N. and e. Europe (Scandinavia, Alps).
Winters s. to s. Russia.
(2) N. and ne. Asia.
Irrupts into ne. Iran, Korea, and n. China during winter.
(3) C. Russia, Turkistan (Tien Shan Mountains of Kazakhstan, Altai Mountains, Kirghiz steppes) and Afghanistan.
(4) C. and s. Kuril Is., and n. Japan (Hokkaido and Honshu).
(6) N. China (mountains of Liaoning, Mongolia).
(7) Pakistan and nw. India.
(8) W. Himalayas (w. Nepal to ne. India in s. Kashmir).
(9) E. Himalayas to s. Tibet, w. Nepal, n. Burma and sw. China.
(10) Se. China (Yunnan). Taiwan.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.