Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Weavers and Allies :: Fan-tailed Widowbird
Fan-tailed Widowbird Euplectes axillaris
Described by: Smith (1838)
Alternate common name(s): Fan-tailed Whydah, Red-shouldered Widowbird
Old scientific name(s): Coliuspasser axillaris
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
(1) S. Mali and Burkina Faso on the Niger River, Niger, n. Nigeria, s. Chad, Central African Republic, sw. Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, Angola, sw. and c. Zaire.
(2) C. Angola.
(3) N. Ethiopia.
(4) S. Sudan, w. Ethiopia, sw. Somalia, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, w. Kenya and Tanzania.
(5) Upper Volta to Upper Niger.
(6) Somalia, e. Kenya and e. Tanzania.
(7) S. Angola, ex. ne. Namibia, s. Zambia, Malawi, n. Botswana, ne. Zimbabwe, Mozambique, and e. South Africa.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.