Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Weavers and Allies :: Forest Weaver
Forest Weaver Ploceus bicolor
Described by: Vieillot (1819)
Alternate common name(s): Dark-backed Weaver, Gray-backed Weaver, Grey-backed Weaver, Black-backed Weaver, Eastern Forest Weaver, Spot-headed Weaver
Old scientific name(s): Symplectes bicolor
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeC., e. and s. Africa;
(1) Se. Nigeria, Cameroon and Fernando Po.
(2) S. Cameroon, Gabon, and w. Zaire.
(3) N. Angola.
(4) Ex. se. Sudan, ne. Zaire, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, and w. Kenya.
(5) S. Zaire, sw. Tanzania, w. and c. Zambia, and s. Malawi.
(6) Somalia, e. Kenya and e. Tanzania including Zanzibar Is.
(7) Se. Tanzania, e. Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
(8) E. Zimbabwe and w. Mozambique.
(9) S. Mozambique and e. South Africa (n. Natal).
(10) Se. Mozambique and e. South Africa (e. Natal).
(11) S. Mozambique to coastal se. South Africa (e. Cape Province).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.