Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Waxbills and Allies :: Nutmeg Mannikin
Nutmeg Mannikin Lonchura punctulata
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Scaly-breasted Munia, Spotted Munia, Nutmeg Munia, Spice Munia, Ricebird, Cream-bellied Munia
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Range(1) India and foothills of the Himalayas of s. Nepal.
(2) Ne. India (Assam), Bhutan, Bangladesh and w. Burma.
(3) Sw. China and ne. Burma.
(4) S. China, Taiwan, Thailand and Indochina.
(5) Philippines (Luzon, Mindoro, Calamian Is., Palawan, Panay, Negros, and Cebu).
(6) Malaysia and Sumatra including Nias Archipelago and Riau Archipelago, Bangka Is., and Belitung Is.
(7) Java including Bawean Is., Bali, se. Borneo, and the Lesser Sundas (Lombok, Sumbawa).
(8) Sumba. Sawu.
(9) Lesser Sundas (Flores, Lomblen, Timor, Kisar, Romang, Leti, Babar). Tanimbar Is.
Introduced to e. Australia (e. New South Wales and e. Queensland), Mascarene Is., Palau, Caroline Is., and Hawaiian Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.