Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Waxbills and Allies :: Chestnut Munia
Chestnut Munia Lonchura atricapilla
Described by: Vieillot (1807)
Alternate common name(s): Southern Black-headed Munia
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 2 more images.
Range(1) Se. Nepal, n. and ne. India (n. Haryana e. to Assam s. to Bihar, West Bengal, Manipur, Nagaland ), Bangladesh to Burma and sw. China (nw Yunnan).
(2) Sw. China (sw. Yunnan) to nw. Thailand, Cambodia, s. Laos, c. and s. Vietnam.
(3) Peninsular Thailand, Malaya, Sumatra (coastal lowlands), Riau Archipelago and Lingga Archipelago.
(4) Mountains of n. Sumatra.
(5) Taiwan and n. Philippines (n. Luzon) and Sulu Archipelago.
(6) Philippines, Sulu Archipelago, Palawan, Borneo including Natuna Is., Sulawesi, Muna Is., Butung Is., and Togian Is.
(7) Borneo (Sampit region of Kalimantan).
(8) Borneo (Pontianak region of w. Kalimantan).
(9) S. Sulawesi (Makassar district).
Mostly (1) introduced to e. Australia, n. Moluccas (Halmahera), Palau and the Hawaiian Is. (Kauai, Oahu).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.