Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Waxbills and Allies :: Common Waxbill
Common Waxbill Estrilda astrild
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Astrild, Waxbill
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 1 more images.
Range(1) Sierra Leone, s. Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, and Nigeria.
(2) S. Cameroon and Central African Republic to n. Zaire and Fernando Po.
(3) Sao Tome.
(4) W. and c. Ethiopia.
(5) C. and s. Sudan.
(6) Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, and nw. Tanzania.
(7) Kenya and n. Tanzania. S. Somalia?
(8) E. Kenya, ne. Tanzania and Zanzibar.
(9) S. Tanzania to Zambia, Mozambique, and e. South Africa (Transvaal).
(10) S. Zaire.
(11) E. Angola, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
(12) S. Zaire and w. Angola.
(13) W. Angola.
(15) N. Namibia.
(16) S. Botswana and South Africa (w. Transvaal, Orange Free State, w. Cape Province).
(17) South Africa (e. Cape Province, se. Transvaal, Natal).
Introduced to Portugal, se. Spain, Cape Verde Is., the Hawaiian Is. (Oahu, Hawaii), Society Is. (Tahiti), Puerto Rico, Brazil (Bahia), and many small is. including Cape Verde Is., Seychelles, and Mascarene Is.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.