Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Rheas :: Greater Rhea
Greater Rhea Rhea americana
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Common Rhea
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 1 more images.
RangeEc. and se. South America;
(1) Ne. to se. Brazil (w. Bahia (grasslands of the San Francisco Valley and Curaca), s. Para (savannas of Mundurucu), Maranhao, Piaui, formerly Ceara , formerly Rio Grande do Norte s. to Sao Paulo, Goias and s. Mato Grosso at Vacaria).
(2) Ex. se. Brazil (Rio Grande do Sul (Barra do Quarai) to ca 45km w. of Vacaria) and Uruguay (Banados del Este), but absent from forested areas and even areas from which forests have been cleared.
(3) E. Paraguay (e. of the Rio Paraguay, Capitan Bado, Horqueta, Rosario).
(4) Sw. Brazil (s. Mato Grosso (Pantanal, Chapada dos Guimaraes)), w. Paraguay (Chaco) to n. and e. Bolivia (Beni, Santa Cruz, Tarija).
(5) Ne. and e. Argentina s. to the Rio Negro and w. to Cordoba and Santiago del Estero. Birds in the Mato Grosso and e. Bolivia may be this race rather than (4).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.