Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Herons, Egrets and Bitterns :: Rufous Night-Heron
Rufous Night-Heron Nycticorax caledonicus
Described by: Gmelin (1789)
Alternate common name(s): Rufous Night Heron, Nankeen Night-heron, Rufous Night-heron
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 1 more images.
RangePhilippines, e. Sundas and Australasian region;
(1) Bonin Is.
(2) Philippines (Luzon, Mindanao, Palawan), Sulu Archipelago, n. Borneo and Sulawesi.
(3) W. Java (Pulau Dua in the Sunda Strait, Lesser Sundas, Moluccas, e. to New Guinea and Australia (w. and n. Western Australia (Lake Kununurra), Northern Territory (Kakadu National Park), Queensland (Townsville Common Environmental Park, Lake Bindgolly), New South Wales, Victoria, n. and e. South Australia, King Is.) and Tasmania.
(4) Bismarck Archipelago (New Britain) to Solomon Is.
(5) Palau and Truk in Caroline Is.
(6) New Caledonia. Ranges to Lord Howe Is., Marianas and New Zealand.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.