Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Herons, Egrets and Bitterns :: Boat-billed Heron
Boat-billed Heron Cochlearius cochlearius
Described by: Linnaeus (1766)
Alternate common name(s): Southern Boat-billed Heron, Northern Boat-billed Heron
Old scientific name(s): Cochlearius cochlearia
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 2 more images.
RangeC. Central America to se. South America;
(1) Pacific slope of nc. Mexico from Sinaloa to Guerrero.
(2) W. Mexico (Chiapas), Guatemala, El Salvador, w. Honduras and Nicaragua (?).
(3) Caribbean slope from Tamaulipas, Cuidad Victoria to the Yucatan), Belize (Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary) and n. Guatemala.
(4) Costa Rica and Panama, w. Colombia.
(5) Ex. e. Panama (Darien), n. and s. Colombia, n. Venezuela, Trinidad, Guyana, Surinam, Guiana, w. and e. Ecuador, e. Peru, n. and e. Bolivia, Amazonian, e. and se. Brazil (s. to Goias, Bahia (Carinhanha), Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo), e. Paraguay, n. Argentina (Formosa, Misiones s. to Entre Rios).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.