Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Cassowaries :: Dwarf Cassowary
Dwarf Cassowary Casuarius bennetti
Described by: Gould (1857)
Alternate common name(s): Little Cassowary, Bennett's Cassowary, Mountain Cassowary, Westerman's Cassowary, Milne Edward's Cassowary
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeMoluccas; New Guinea n. of main mountain range; Bismarck Archipelago
Three main populations with scattered, fragmented distribution;
(1) New Britain (introduced?).
(2) Nw. New Guinea (w. side of Geelvink Bay, West Irian).
(3) Yapen Is. (May have been introduced, but probably occurs naturally).
(4) Nc. New Guinea (Nassau Mountains).
(5) Ne. New Guinea (Huon Peninsula).
(6) Se. New Guinea (Discovery Bay).
(7) Se. New Guinea (Aroa River).
(8) New Guinea (Kratke Mountains and most of Wahgi Valley);
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.