Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hawks, Eagles and Kites :: Shikra
Shikra Accipiter badius
Described by: Gmelin (1788)
Alternate common name(s): Little Banded Goshawk, Southern Shikra, Northern Shikra
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 2 more images.
RangeUnforested Africa s. of Sahara; Ex. se. Europe to se. Asia;
(1) Senegambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, s. Mali, s. Niger, s. Chad, s. and c. Sudan to Ethiopia, Somalia and sw. Arabia and s. to the Cameroon, Central African Republic, n. and ne. Zaire, Uganda and n. Tanzania.
(2) S. Zaire, Rwanda and s. Tanzania s. to ne. Namibia, Botswana to ne. South Africa (Transvaal, Swaziland, n. Natal).
(3) S. Russia from s. Ukraine e. to the s. Ural Mountains, Caucasus and Transcaucasus in Azerbaijan n. to Aral Sea, Kazakhstan and n. Iran and Afghanistan to w. China (sw. Sinkiang) and nw. India.
Winters s. to Pakistan, India and se. Asia including Sumatra.
(4) Himalayas, n. and c. India to Bangladesh.
(5) Sw. India and Sri Lanka.
(6) Ne. India (Assam) to s. China (s. Yunnan, Kwangsi, Kwangtung and s. Fukien) s. to Thailand, Vietnam, Hainan and Taiwan.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.