Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hawks, Eagles and Kites :: Brown Goshawk
Brown Goshawk Accipiter fasciatus
Described by: Vigors; Horsfield (1827)
Alternate common name(s): Australasian Goshawk, Lesser Goshawk, Australian Goshawk
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeLesser Sundas, Sulawesi, New Guinea, Australia and islands of sw. Pacific Ocean;
(1) Christmas Is. Lesser Sundas: the placement of populations on the following islands is uncetain: Kalao, Bone Rate, Kalaotoa, Madu;
(2) Lombok to Wetar, Damar, Sermata, Moa and Babar Is.
(3) Sumba Is.
(4) Sawu (Savu) Is.
(5) Alor, Semau, Roti and Timor Is.
(6) S. Sulawesi (Tanahjampea and Tukangbesi Is.).
(7) S. New Guinea.
(8) E. New Guinea w. to the Sepik River and Merauke.
(9) New Caledonia, Loyalty Is. and Vanuatu.
(10) N. coast of Australia in nw. Western Australia, n. Northern Territory and n. Queensland.
Wintering n. to the Moluccas (Buru Is.).
(11) C. and s. Australia (n. Western Australia, c. Northern Territory and n. Queensland s. to New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania.
Winters n. in n. Australia and perhaps Lesser Sundas (Timor Is.), s. Solomon Is. (Rennell and Bellona Is.).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.