Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hawks, Eagles and Kites :: Oriental Honey-buzzard
Oriental Honey-buzzard Pernis ptilorhynchus
Described by: Temminck (1821)
Alternate common name(s): Crested Honey Buzzard, Crested Honey-buzzard, Asian Honey-buzzard, Asiatic Honey-buzzard, Eastern Honey-buzzard, Siberian Honey Buzzard, Siberian Honey-buzzard, Indian Honey Buzzard, Indian Honey-buzzard, Malaysian Honey Buzzard, Malaysian Honey-buzzard, Javan Honey Buzzard, Javan Honey-buzzard, Palawan Honey Buzzard, Palawan Honey-buzzard, Philippine Honey Buzzard, Philippine Honey-buzzard
Old scientific name(s): Pernis ptilorhyncus, Pernis ptilorhyncus
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeC. to e. Asia; Se. Asia;
Two main populations;
(1) E. Siberia from the upper Ob River and Yenisei River e. through Transbaicalia to Amurland, Ussuriland and Sakhalin Is., ne. China (e. Heilungkiang, Liaoning, Hopeh), Japan (Hokkaido to c. Honshu) and possibly Korea.
Winters to Burma, China and Taiwan.
(2) Pakistan and India to Assam and Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Burma, nw. Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and sw. China.
(3) Malaysia, s. Thailand, Sumatra, Siberut Is. and Borneo.
(5) Cw. Philippines (Palawan).
(6) Philippines (Luzon, Catanduanes, Cebu, Negros, Mindanao and Basilan).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.