Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hawks, Eagles and Kites :: Northern Goshawk
Northern Goshawk Accipiter gentilis
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Eurasian Goshawk, American Goshawk
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 2 more images.
(1) N. Scandinavia from Sweden to the Lena River in n. Russia.
(2) Europe in the British Isles s. to n. Mediterranean region, n. Morocco, Turkey, sw. Russia (Transcaucasas and s. Urals) and n. Iran.
(3) Corsica and Sardinia.
(4) Se. Russia from the Ural Mountains across s. Siberia from the Altai e. to Ussuriland, Amurland, Sakhalin and Kuril Is. s. to se. Tibet, nw. and c. China (Sinkiang, Kansu, Tsinghai, n. Szechwan and probably n. Yunnan and n. Manchuria in Heilungkiang), Mongolia.
(5) Japan (Hokkaido and Honshu).
(6) Ne. Siberia to Kolyma River and Kamchatka.
Winters s. to c. Europe and c. Asia s. to n. Africa, Arabia, c. India, n. se. Asia, Taiwan and Bonnin Is.
(7) N. North America from w. and c. Alaska, n. Yukon, w. and s. Mackenzie and ne. Manitoba e. to across n. Canada to Labrador, Newfoundland and s. to s. Alaska from the base of the Alaskan Peninsula to c. California, s. Nevada, se. Arizona, s. New Mexico and the e. foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Black Hills of sw. South Dakota, s. Alberta, c. Saskatchewan, s. Manitoba, n. Minnesota, c. Michigan, West Virginia, Maryland, e. Kentucky, e. Tennessee and w. North Carolinas. W. Mexico (Jalisco).
(8) W. Canada (Queen Charlotte and Vancouver Is., British Columbia).
Winters s. to s. United States and n. Mexico.
North American n. of Mexican border
Summer: ALK, YUK, w. and s. NWT (MAC), BCO, ALB, SAS, s. KEE, MAN, ONT, nc. QUE, LAB, NFD, NBR, NSC, PEI s. in the w. United States in the mountains in WAS, IDH, w. MON, WYO, wc. ORG, n. and ne. CAL, ne. NEV, UTH, c. COL, n. and e. ARZ, nw. NMX and in the e. United States in ne. MIN, ex. n. WIS, n. MIC, n. PEN, NYK, ex. nw. NJY, nw. CNT, w. MAS, VMT, NHP, MAE;
Winter: ALK, YUK, w. and s. NWT (MAC), BCO, ALB, ex. s. SAS, ex. s. MAN, ex. s. QUE, se. NBR, PEI, NSC s. in United States to WAS, ORG, n. CAL, IDH, NEV, MON, WYO, COL, UTH, ARZ, NMX, w. TEX, NDK, SDK, NEB, OKA, KAN, MIN, IWA, sc. MOU, s. ILL, WIS, MIC, IND, ex. nc KTY, w. OHO, PEN, ne. WVA, MYD, DEL, NJY, NYK, CNT, VMT, NHP, MAS, RID, MAE.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Naturesongs.com
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.