Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hawks, Eagles and Kites :: Roadside Hawk
Roadside Hawk Buteo magnirostris
Described by: Gmelin (1788)
Alternate common name(s): Large-billed Hawk, Insect Hawk
Old scientific name(s): Rupornis magnirostris, Asturina magnirostris
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 12 more images.
RangeNe. Mexico through Central America to se. South America;
(1) Mexico (Jalisco to Colima) s. to nw. Costa Rica.
(2) Cozumel and Holbox Is. off se. Mexico.
(3) Se. Mexico (s. Tamaulipas, s. Nuevo Leon, Tabasco, Yucatan Peninsula) and n. Belize.
(4) Guanaja (Bonacca) and Ruatan Is. off n. Honduras.
(5) Sw. Costa Rica to Pacific slope of sw. Panama (Chiriqui to Rio Tuira and adjacent islands including Coiba Is.).
(6) Pearl Is. (San Jose and San Miguel Is.) off s. Panama.
(7) Colombia s. to w. Ecuador and e. to Venezuela, Guyana, Surinam, Guiana and s. of the Amazon in Brazil from the Rio Madeira e. to the Atlantic.
(8) E. Ecuador and e. Peru, w. Brazil s. of the Amazon and w. of the Rio Madeira, and n. Bolivia.
(9) Ne. Brazil s. to Bahia (Chapada Diamantina).
(10) E. Bolivia through Paraguay and sw. Brazil (sw. Mato Grosso) to w. Argentina s. to La Rioja.
(11) S. Brazil to n. Argentina (La Rioja, Cordoba, Santa Fe and Buenos Aires) and adjacent Paraguay.
(12) Uruguay and ne. Argentina (Misiones) s. to Buenos Aires Province.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
Santa Rosa National Park, Costa Rica - Date unknown Source: Dan Mennill
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.