Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hawks, Eagles and Kites :: Golden Eagle
Golden Eagle Aquila chrysaetos
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 2 more images.
Fragmented distribution in the s. part of its range;
(1) Nw. and c. Europe (Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, France, Switzerland, Austria, the Alps, Italy, the former Yugoslavia, Greece, Hungary (Zemplen), Bulgaria and European Russia) e. to w. Siberia and the Altai Mountains.
(2) Sw. Europe (Spain and Portugal), nw. Africa (Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia and ne. Libya) and large Mediterranean is. (Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily and crete) e. through Egypt, Asia Minor (Turkey and Sinai Peninsula) and Arabia to the Caucasus and Iran.
(3) Turkestan e. to Manchuria and s. to Pakistan (Baluchistan), the Himalayas of n. India (Kashmir, Ladakh e. to Arunachal Pradesh and n. Assam) and sw. China.
(4) Korea and c. Japan (Hokkaido and Honshu).
(5) N. Mongolia, w. and c. Siberia and e. from the Altai Mountains to Anadyrland and Kamchatka Peninsula.
(6) W. and n. Alaska across Canada from Yukon, w. and s. Mackenzie, nw. Manitoba, n. Ontario, n. Quebec to Labrador s. in the Aleutains (w. to Unalaska), w. United States to n. Baja and n. Mexico (Durango, Guanajuato, Nuevo Leon), w. and c. Texas, w. Oklahoma, w. Kansas to n. New York and probably in the Appalachian Mountains s. to e. Tennessee and w. North Carolina.
Winters from sc. Alaska and s. Canada s. to c. Mexico and se. United States.
North America n. of Mexican border
Summer: ALK, YUK, sw. MAC, BCO, ALB, w. and n. SAS, inland WAS, inland ORG, CAL, IDH, NEV, UTH, ARZ, MON, WYO, COL, NMX. sw. NDK, w. SDK, w. NEB, ex. w. OKA, n. and c. MAN, n. ONT, n. QUE s. to Gaspe Peninsula, LAB, w. KAN, w. TEX and locally s. in the Adirondacks of n. NYK. A few pairs (status unknown) breed in Appalachians;
Winter: se. ALK, BCO, ALB, n. MAN, s. in inland WAS, IDH, MON, inland ORG, CAL, NEV, UTH, ARZ, WYO, COL, NMX, w. NDK, w. SDK, w. NEB, w. KAN, w. OKA, and c. TEX.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.