Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Grouse :: Spruce Grouse
Spruce Grouse Falcipennis canadensis
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Franklin's Grouse, American Spruce-grouse, Canada Grouse, Taiga Grouse
Old scientific name(s): Dendragapus canadensis, Canachites canadensis
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeN. North America;
(1) N. Alaska (Yukon Valley and Kowak Valley), and nw. Canada (n. Yukon, w. and s. Mackenzie to the Great Slave Lake and Lake Athabaska).
(2) S. Alaska from the base of the Alaskan Peninsula (Bristol Bay to Cook Inlet, and Prince William Sound).
(3) Se. Alaska and n. British Columbia.
(4) Wc. Canada from c. and se. Alberta, c. Saskatchewan, s. Keewatin, ne. Manitoba, n. Ontario, n. Quebec including Labrador.
Introduced in Newfoundland.
(5) Nova Scotia.
(6) Sc. Canada (s. Manitoba e. to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia) and n. and ne. United States (n. Minnesota, n. Wisconsin, ne. Michigan, n. New York (Adirondacks), n. New Hampshire and Maine).
(7) Se. Alaska, w. Canada (c. British Columbia, wc. Alberta) s. to the nw. United States through the n. Rocky Mountains of n. Oregon, c. and se. Idaho, nw. Montana and possibly nw. Wyoming).
North America n. of Mexican border;
Summer and winter: forested w. and c. ALK, n. YUK, n. MAC, ex. sw. KEE s. in interior BCO, n. WAS (Cascades), ne. ORG, c. IDH, w. MON, w. to ce. ALB, c. SAS, s. MAN, ONT, ex. n. WIS, Upper Peninsula and ex. n. MIC, nc. QUE, LAB, NFD, w. PEI, NBR, NSC (Taylor Head Provincial Park, Halifax), ne. NYK, ex. n. VER, n. NHP, and c. MAE.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.