Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Grouse :: Ruffed Grouse
Ruffed Grouse Bonasa umbellus
Described by: Linnaeus (1766)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeN. North America;
Highly fragmented distribution in the s. part of its range;
(1) W. Alaska and nw. Canada (c. Yukon to sw. Mackenzie, n. Alberta and nw. Saskatchewan).
(2) C. Canada (n. British Columbia, c. Alberta, c. Saskatchewan to Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec).
(3) Labrador Peninsula.
(4) Sw. Canada (coastal sw. British Columbia) and coastal nw. United States (Washington, Winthrop) s. to nw. California.
(5) Sw. Canada (Vancouver Is.).
(6) Ex. nw. Washington (Olympic Peninsula).
(7) Sw. Canada (inland British Columbia) to nw. United States (c. Oregon).
(8) Nc. Canada (n. Ontario).
(8) Sw. Canada (se. British Columbia) s. to nw. United States (e. Oregon and sc. Idaho).
(9) Se. Idaho, w. Wyoming s. to c. Utah, nw. Colorado and sw. South Dakota).
(10) Nc. United States (Minnesota and s. Wisconsin).
(11) Sc. Canada (s. Ontario, s. Quebec) and nc. and ne. United States (Minnesota, n. Wisconsin, c. Michigan and c. New York).
(12) Ne. Canada (Nova Scotia, Pictou County).
(13) Ne. United States (c. New York, and c. Massachusetts s. to e. Pennsylvania and New Jersey).
(14) Ec. United States (s. Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania w. locally to c. Arkansas, w. Tennessee, ne. Alabama and s. through Appalachians in West Virginia, and ne. Virginia to w. South Carolina and n. Georgia).
Formerly e. Kansas.
Introduced to Nevada, Iowa and Newfoundland.
North America n. of the Mexican border;
Summer and Winter: c. ALK, c. and s. Yuk, BCO, c. MAC, ALB, n. to c. SAS, n. MAN, ONT, c. QUE, s. LAB, NBR, PEI, NSC, NFD s. in w. to n. and e. WAS, w. and e. ORG, ex. nw. CAL, n. to se. IDH, ne. UTH, w. MON, w. and n. WYO, to ex. sw. SDK (Black Hills), ex. ne. NDK, e. MIN, WIS, ne. IWA, MIC, c. and e. OHO, e. KTY, e. TEN, ne. GEO, w. SCA, w. NCA, w. VA, WVA, w. MYD, PEN, NYK, n. NJY, CON, VMT, NHP, MAS, RID, MAE, and isolated populations in ne. NEV, se. ALB and sw. SAS (Riding Mountains), nw. ARK, sc. MOU, s. IND, and ne. ALA;
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.