Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Grouse :: Sharp-tailed Grouse
Sharp-tailed Grouse Tympanuchus phasianellus
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): Pedioecetes phasianellus
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeAlaska and nw. Canada; C. Canada and nc. United States;
Fragmented distribution in sw. range;
(1) C. Alaska to s. Yukon. N. British Columbia and n. Alberta.
(2) Ex. e. Yukon and Mackenzie.
(3) N. Saskatchewan, n. Manitoba, n. Ontario, and wc. Quebec.
(4) S. Manitoba, s. Ontario (Manitoulin Is.) to e. North Dakota, e. South Dakota, c. Minnesota, c. Wisconsin and n. Michigan.
Formerly s. to n. Illinois.
(5) Nc. Alberta and c. Saskatchewan s. to Wyoming, ec. Colorado, and c. Nebraska.
Formerly s. to Kansas and n. Texas.
(6) Sw. Canada (nc. British Columbia) and nw. United States (e. Washington to c. Utah, and ex. nw. Colorado).
(7) N. New Mexico.
Formerly in e. Oregon, and n. California.
North America n. of Mexican border;
Summer and winter: C. ALK, and sw. YUK. Ne. and se. YUK, nw. to sc. MAC, ne. BCO, ALB, n. SAS, n. MAN, nw. and ne. ONT, and nw. QUE s. in nc. WAS, wc. MON, e. WYO, ex. nw. COL (Steamboat Springs), NDK, SDK, n. NEB, n. MIN, n. WIS, and n. MIC (Upper Peninsula). Two isolated populations in cw. IDH, and e. IDH and w. WYO;
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.