Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Grouse :: Eurasian Capercaillie
Eurasian Capercaillie Tetrao urogallus
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Western Capercaillie, Capercaillie
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeEurope to c. Asia;
(1) Nw. Spain (Cantabrian Mountains).
(2) E. Spain (Pyrenees Mountains).
(3) C. Europe from Germany and the Alps to the sw. Balkans, w. Byelorussia, e. Carpathians and n. Macedonia.
(4) Ukraine and Romania in the e. Carpathians and Bulgaria in the Rhodope Mountains.
(5) Scandinavia and Scotland (reintroduced).
(6) Ne. Russia (Kola Peninsula).
(7) Finland and nw. Russia (Russian Karelia).
(8) Byelorussia, n. Ukraine and most of European Russia.
(9) N. Russia from Lake Onega to n. Siberia in the upper Lena River region.
(10) Ne. Russia to w. Purorana Plateau in the lower Yenisei River Valley.
(11) C. and se. Russia.
(12) S. Ural Mountains and sw. Siberia e. to Barnaul.
(13) C. Siberia (lower Yenisey River Valley) s. to Altai Mountains, nw. Mongolia and Transbaicalia.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.