Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: New World Quail :: Montezuma Quail
Montezuma Quail Cyrtonyx montezumae
Described by: Vigors (1830)
Alternate common name(s): Montezuma's Quail, Harlequin Quail, Mearns Quail, Mearns' Quail, Mearns's Quail, Salle's Quail
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeSw. border of the United States and Mexico;
(1) Scattered populations in sw. United States (c. and se. Arizona, s. New Mexico mostly in sw. mountains, and w. Texas w. of the Pecos e. to San Antonio), n. and nw. Mexico (n. Coahuila, n. Sonora).
(2) N. and c. Mexico (c. Nuevo Leon, wc. Tamaulipas s. through Hidalgo to Jalisco, n. Michoacan, Distrito Federal, Puebla and c. Veracruz). Sometimes claimed to occur in Oaxaca.
(3) Ec. Mexico (Mt. Orizaba, Veracruz).
(4) Sw. Mexico (Pacific slope s. Michoacan and Guerrero s. to ec. Oaxaca).
(5) S. Mexico (Guerrero and Oaxaca in the Sierra de Miahuatlan).
North America n. of Mexican border;
Summer and winter: c. to se. ARZ, sw. and sc. NMX, w. and sc. TEX (Big Bend).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.