Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Pheasants and Partridges :: Blue-breasted Quail
Blue-breasted Quail Coturnix chinensis
Described by: Linnaeus (1766)
Alternate common name(s): King Quail, Painted Quail, Chinese Quail, Asian Blue Quail, Blue Quail, Indian Blue Quail
Old scientific name(s): Excalfactoria chinensis
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeIndia to e. Australia;
(1) India and Sri Lanka to se. China, Hainan, Taiwan, Malaysia and Indochina. Andaman Is. (race unspecified).
(2) Nicobar Is.
(3) Sumatra and Java.
(4) Borneo, Sulawesi to the Philippines.
(5) Lesser Sundas (Lombok e. to Timor).
(6) Mountains of New Guinea.
(7) Se. New Guinea.
(8) Bismarck Archipelago.
(9) N. Australia (Northern Territory at Holmes Jungle Swamp near Darwin).
(10) E. Australia (e. Queensland, e. New South Wales at Cooloola National Park and Lake Samsonvale near Brisbane and se. Victoria).
Introduced to Hawaii, Guam, se. Australia, and the Mascarene Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.