Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Pheasants and Partridges :: Himalayan Snowcock
Himalayan Snowcock Tetraogallus himalayensis
Described by: Gray, G. R. (1843)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
No photographs are available for this species
RangeC. Asia (Himalayan Shield region);
(1) Se. Kazakhstan (Zaysan (Tarbagatai Mountains and Saur Mountains)).
(2) Se. Turkestan from Tadjikistan (Tien Shan), s. Uzbekistan, and se. Kazakhstan (Dzungarian Alatau and Borochoro Range) and e. to Kyrgyzstan (Issyk-Kul Reserve), and nw. China (w. Xinjiang).
(3) Mountains of s. Tadjikistan (Tien Shan), n. and c. Afghanistan.
(4) E. Afghanistan (Safed Koh, Nuristan) and the w. Himalayas of n. Pakistan e. to nw. India e. to Ladakh and Nepal.
(5) Cw. China in the w. Kunlun Mountains of n. Tibet and ex. sw. Xinjiang (Sinkiang).
(6) Wc. China in Ching Hai Ku Mountains (Koko Nor Mountains) in Qinghai (Tsinghai), s. Xinjiang (Astin Tagh Range), and Nan Shan or Humboldt Mountains of s. Gansu (Kansu).
Introduced to w. United States in ne. Nevada in the Ruby Mountains (Thomas Peak (Island Lake), Wines Peak (Favre Lake, North Furlong Lake, Liberty Pass), Ruby Dome, Mount Gilbert, Mount Silliman, Verdi Peak, Old Man in the Mountain) and e. Humboldt Mountain Range (Hole-in-the-Mountain Peak, Humboldt Peak, Gray's Peak).
North America n. of Mexican border
Summer and winter: ne. NEV.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.