Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Rails, Gallinules and Coots :: Baillon's Crake
Baillon's Crake Porzana pusilla
Described by: Pallas (1776)
Alternate common name(s): Marsh Crake, Tiny Crake, Lesser Spotted Crake
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeEurope to ec. Asia. E. and s. Africa and Madagascar. N. India. Greater Sundas. Australia. New Zealand;
(1) W. Europe (n. France, Netherlands, s. Germany and s. Czechoslovakia) and Sardinia to the Balkans, c. and s. Russia, Jordan and Iran and n. Africa (Morocco, Tunisia and probably n. Algeria). Cw. Angola, Zambia, e. Zaire, w. Uganda, c. Ethiopia, Sudan, n. Somalia, w. Kenya (Thika, Mombasa), Rwanda, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, ne. Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa (Cape Province). Madagascar.
(2) C. Asia e. of the Dnestr River in s. Siberia to Lake Baikal, Transbaikalia, s. Amurland and Ussuriland, Mongolia, n. China, North Korea and Japan (Hokkaido and Honshu) and s. to Iran, e. Kazakhstan, n. Kirghiz steppes, and n. India (Kashmir) then s. to Malaysia, Sumatra (Belitung Is.) and Sulawesi.
Winters s. India, Sri Lanka, Burma, s. China, Indonesia and the Philippines.
(3) E. Borneo.
(4) C. New Guinea (c. highlands and Lake Wissel in the Weyland Mountains).
(5) E. New Guinea (Port Moresby area), se. and sw. Australia (sw. and n. Western Australia, n. and se. Northern Territory, Queensland (Lake Bidegolly), New South Wales (Sherwood Forest Park near Brisbane and Cronulla Swamp near Sidney), Victoria (Werribee) and e. South Australia) and Tasmania.
(6) New Zealand, Stewart Is. and Chatham Is.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Frans van der Veen
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Dutch Birding Association
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.