Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Gulls :: Kelp Gull
Kelp Gull Larus dominicanus
Described by: Lichtenstein, M. H. K. (1823)
Alternate common name(s): Southern Black-backed Gull, Dominican Gull
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 3 more images.
RangeCoasts and Islands of the Southern Hemisphere;
Four main populations;
(1) Coastal s. South America from nw. Peru and se. Brazil s. to Tierra del Fuego and mountain lakes of Argentina from Rio Negro to Santa Crua, Falkland Is., South Georgia and Australia in sw. Western Australia then from se. South Australia, e. to Victoria, e. New South Wales (Wollongong), se. Queensland and Tasmania (Bruny Island). Coasts and mountains of New Zealand, Macquarie Is., Campbell Is., Auckland Is., Snares Is., Antipodes Is., Bounty Is. and Chatham Is.
(2) Coastal w. and s. Africa in Senegambia and Angola, s. and c. Namibia (Walvis Bay), South Africa (Durban in Natal), Mozambique.
(3) Antarctica on the Antarctic Peninsuls s. to 68°S and Antarctic islands including South Sandwich Is., South Orkney Is., and South Shetland Is.
(4) Subantarctic Indian Ocean Islands including Bouvet Is., Prince Edward Is., Marion Is., Crozet Is., Kerguelen Is. and Heard Is.
(5) Coastal sw. and s. Madagascar.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.