Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Terns :: Roseate Tern
Roseate Tern Sterna dougallii
Described by: Montagu (1813)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 9 more images.
RangeWorldwide distribution in the Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, w. and sw. Pacific Ocean;
(1) E. and w. North Atlantic Ocean coasts of Europe (British Isles, Denmark, nw. and s. France), Azores, Madeira and Canary Is., Senegambia, Somalia, Kenya, South Africa, Madagascar, coastal Malay Peninsula, se. China (Fukien and n. Kwantung), Greater Sundas and North America in e. Canada (Nova Scotia) and the United State from Maine s. to Florida, Bermuda, and is. in the Caribbean (Somebrero Is.).
Winters along the coasts of France, Spain, Portugal, w. Africa from Morocco to Nigeria and in e. Africa from the Red Sea and Arabia s. to South Africa and Madagascar and the West Indies (Bahamas, Abaco Sound) and n. South America is. of n. Venezuela from Netherlands Antilles to Los Roques and is. off n. Honduras. Recorded off e. Brazil (ne. Bahia).
(2) Seychelles and Mascarene Is.
(3) Sri Lanka and Andaman Is.
(4) Moluccas and n. and w. coasts of Australia (w. Western Australia (Abrolhos Islands and Carnarvon Harbor), Northern Territory to s. Queensland (Lady Elliot Island)).
(5) Ryukyu, Taiwan and Lan Yu Is., cw. Philippines (Calamian Is. and Palawan), Kai and Solomon Is.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.