Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Terns :: Antarctic Tern
Antarctic Tern Sterna vittata
Described by: Gmelin (1789)
Alternate common name(s): Swallow-tailed Tern
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeCircumpolar; S. oceans and antarctic seas;
(1) South Shetland Is. and presumably s. to Marguerite Bay on the Antarctic Peninsula.
(2) South Gerogia Is. Birds on South Orkney Is. and South Sandwich Is. and Bouvetoya Is. are possibly of this race.
(3) Tristan da Cunha, Gough Is. and Stag Is., Asension Is., St. Helena and possibly Amsterdam Is. and St. Paul Is.
(4) Is. in the s. Indian Ocean (Prince Edward Is., Marion Is., Crozet Is., Bouvet, Kerguelen Is. and probably Heard Is.).
(5) Subantarctic is. in the New Zealand Sector including Stewart Is., Snares Is., Auckland Is., Bounty Is., Antipodes Is. and Campbell Is.
(6) Macquarie Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.