Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Terns :: Bridled Tern
Bridled Tern Sterna anaethetus
Described by: Scopoli (1786)
Alternate common name(s): Brown-winged Tern
Old scientific name(s): Haliplana anaetheta, Onychoprion anaethetus
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 3 more images.
RangeTropical oceans of the world;
(1) W. coast of Mexico and Central America.
(2) W. Africa on islands off Mauritania and Senegambia and islands in the Gulf of Guinea.
(3) S. Red Sea coasts of Sudan, Eritrea, Somalia and Kenya to Abu Dhabi (Persian Gulf) and Arabian Sea to w. India.
(4) Seychelles, Maldives, Laccadive Is., Madagascar, Aldabra, Mauritius Is. e. to the Andaman Is.
(5) Ex. s. Japan (s. Ryukyu Is.), Taiwan s. through the ec. Philippines (Maturin Is. and Palau) and Indonesia to New Guinea, Lord Howe Is., Norfolk Is. and n. Australia from w. Western Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland.
(6) N. Western Australia e. from Cape Leeuwin.
(7) Ne. Australia (Queensland, Great Barrier Reef islands such as Michaelmas Cay, Lady Elliot Island and Musgrave Island).
(8) Ex. se. United States (Florida Keys), West Indies (Bahamas on New Providence, Grand Bahamas, the Biminis, Abaco Sound, Andors Is., Eleuthera, the Exumas, Cat Is., San Salvador, Long Is., Crooked and Acklins, Turks and Caicos), e. Mexico off the Yucatan Peninsula, Belize, Honduras (Los Farallones), nw. Costa Rica, Panama, is. off n. Venezuela and Tobago.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.