Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Terns :: Sooty Tern
Sooty Tern Sterna fuscata
Described by: Linnaeus (1766)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): Haliplana fuscata, Onychoprion fuscatus
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeTropical and subtropical oceans worldwide;
(1) Islands off the Atlantic coast of the e. United States from North Carolina to Florida and in the Gulf of Mexico w. to Texas, West Indies (Bahamas, Abaco Sound, Culebra off Puerto Rico) and e. Mexico off the Yucatan Peninsula, Belize to islands off n. South America (St. Giles off n. Tobago) s. to Brazil (ne. Bahia) and islands off w. Africa from Senegambia to the Gulf of Guinea (Salvage, Ascension Is., St. Helena and Principe).
(2) S. Red Sea, Gulf of Aden (Mait Is.) and Indian Ocean from Djibouti, Somalia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mascarene Is., ne. Arabia, Seychelles, Laccadive Is., Maldive Is., Andaman Is. to the China Sea and Ryukyu Is., Philippines and islands off w. Australia (Western Australia on the Abrolhos Islands and Northern Territory).
(3) C. Indonesia (exact range uncertain).
(4) New Guinea, e. Australia (Queensland (Michaelmas Cay off Cairns) and New South Wales), Lord Howe Is., Norfolk Is., New Caledonia and Tuamotu Archipelago.
(5) Kermadec Is.
(6) Bonin Is., Marcus Is., Wake Is. and Hawaiian Is. from Kure e. to Moku Manu and Manana off Oahu s. through the c. Pacific Ocean.
(7) Is. off w. Mexico including Clipperton Is., Revillagigedo Is., Tres Marias, Isabela, Alijos Rocks and Central America s. to the Galapagos Is., Sala-y-Gomez and San Felix off Chile.
(8) Juan Fernandez Is. ___________________________________________________________________________________
North America n. of the Mexican border;
Summer: Gulf coast of e. TEX, LOU, MIS, ALA, FLA and Atlantic coast of FLA, GEO, SCA to NCA with scattered records as far n. as NSC and the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.