Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Terns :: Whiskered Tern
Whiskered Tern Chlidonias hybridus
Described by: Pallas (1811)
Alternate common name(s): Marsh Tern
Old scientific name(s): Chlidonias hybrida, Chlidonias leucopareia
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 3 more images.
RangeEurope, Africa, Asia and Australasia;
(1) S. Europe from c. France and c. Poland (Biebrza Marsh), w. Slovakia (Senne), Hungary (Hortobagy National Park), Ukraine, Volga-Ural steppes, Kazakhstan, Aral Sea, Turkestan, Kirghiz steppes to s. Siberia in Transbaicalia and c. China s. to Mediterranean and in n. Africa from Morocco to Tunisia and Mali e. through Turkey to Iraq.
Winters in e. and w. Africa.
(2) E. Iran to n. and c. India.
(3) Kenya and Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa (sw. Cape Province) and Madagascar.
(4) S. China to Indochina and Taiwan.
(5) Sri Lanka to Malaysia, Java and Sulawesi (Togian Is.).
(6) Moluccas, New Guinea, Australia (w. and n. Western Australia, Northern Territory, Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, c. South Australia) and Tasmania.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.