Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Pigeons and Doves :: Wompoo Fruit-Dove
Wompoo Fruit-Dove Ptilinopus magnificus
Described by: Temminck (1821)
Alternate common name(s): Wompoo Fruit Dove, Magnificent Fruit-Dove, Purple-breasted Fruit-Dove, Wompoo Fruit-Pigeon, Purple-bellied Fruit-Pigeon, King Pigeon
Old scientific name(s): Megaloprepia magnificus
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeNew Guinea and e. Australia;
(1) W. Papuan Is. (Waigeo, Misool, Batanta and Salawati).
(2) Nw. New Guinea (Vogelkop) and adjacent is.
(3) Wc. and sw. New Guinea (s. region of Geelvink Bay, Onin Peninsula, lower Snow Mountains, and along the s. coast e. to the Eilanden River.
(4) N. and ne. New Guinea from the Memberamo River e. to Astrolabe Bay and Yapen Is., Kairiru Is., Manam Is., Karkar Is. and Bagabag Is. Dampier Is.?
(5) Se. New Guinea from Huon Gulf and Edrich River eastward.
(6) N. Australia (n. Queensland on the Cape York Peninsula in the Iron Range National Park).
(7) Ne. Queensland (Bellenden Ker Range).
(8) S. Queensland (Lamington National Park and Mount Glorious near Brisbane), ne. New South Wales s. to the Hunter River and possibly Victoria.
Formerly s. to the Illawarra District.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.