Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Pigeons and Doves :: Spinifex Pigeon
Spinifex Pigeon Geophaps plumifera
Described by: Gould (1842)
Alternate common name(s): White-bellied Plumed Pigeon, Red-plumed Pigeon, Plumed Pigeon, Western Plumed-Pigeon, Red-bellied Plumed-Pigeon
Old scientific name(s): Petrophassa plumifera, Lophophaps plumifera
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeInterior of n. Australia;
Fragmented and gerrimandered distribution;
(1) Nw. Australia (Kimberleys, Cape Range National Park).
(2) N. Western Australia (Wyndham, Gibb River Road) to ex. sw. Northern Territory.
(3) N. Western Australia (Derby District). Eighty Mile Beach s. to Gascoyne River and upper Murchison River.
(4) N. Western Australia (upper Fitzroy River).
(5) S. and e. Northern Territory (Ormiston Gorge National Park w. of Alice Springs, Borolooloa, West MacDonnell National Park, and Cape Crawford in the Gulf Country), ex. n. South Australia to cw. and ne. Queensland (interior of Cape York Peninsula and Boulia s. to Longreach) and ex. nw. New South Wales.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.