Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Cuckoos :: Pheasant Coucal
Pheasant Coucal Centropus phasianinus
Described by: Latham (1801)
Alternate common name(s): Common Coucal, Timor Coucal
Old scientific name(s): Centropus phasianius, Centropus phasianius
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeLesser Sundas, New Guinea and n. Australia;
Two major populations;
(1) Ec. Lesser Sundas (Timor Is.).
(2) N. New Guinea and adjacent Papuan Is.
(3) S. New Guinea.
(4) Se. New Guinea.
(5) E. New Guinea, Yule Is. and D'Entrecasteaux Archipelago (Goodenough, Fergusson Is.).
(6) N. and c. Australia (n. Western Australia (Lake Kununurra) and Northern Territory (Fogg Dam and Yellow Waters cruise in Kakadu National Park) to c. Queensland in sugar cane fields around Cairns and Bundaberg).
(7) Ne. Australia (c. Queensland to ne. New South Wales).
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.